Getting into a car accident is a traumatic experience. You might be dealing with physical injuries and then there’s the damage to your vehicle. You will need to deal with your insurance company and a repair shop. Top Notch Auto Body & Mechanics busts some common auto body and repair myths to help set the record straight.
5 Auto Body Collision Repair Myths
1. Can an insurance company tell you have to get your car fixed? Your insurance company will provide you with a list of repair shops. These are only recommendations. It can be helpful, but you may not be familiar with any of them of the area they are in. If you have a shop that you like or have used before you can take your car there. You have the right to choose which repair shop you want to take your car to. Plus, it’s illegal for an insurance company to force you to use a shop they choose.
2. Will your insurance company pay the total amount to repair your damaged vehicle? The policy you have will determine what the insurance company will pay for and what you’ll be responsible for. You need to be aware of the conditions of your policy so you will know what to expect. The insurance company is only required to bring your car back to the condition it was in before the accident, nothing more.
3. Can only a dealership repair your car the right way? Getting your car repaired at the dealership means they will use OEM parts that are specific to your vehicle. Just know that the dealership is not the only place you can get these parts. Some insurance companies won’t cover OEM parts. The only thing you need to do is make sure you pick a repair shop that will get your car as close to the condition it was in before the accident. Make sure you choose a repair shop that uses high quality parts.
4. Can you fix a car that has been totaled? When a car is “totaled” it means that the cost of repairs is more than the value of the car. You can repair a totaled vehicle, but you need to know that the insurance company will only pay you for what the car is worth and not the repairs. You need to pay the difference. The DMV will need to re-inspect your vehicle after the repairs have been done before you can take it on the road again. The DMV will also declare your car “Salvage” on the title.
5. Do cars run the same after a car accident? Even cars that have been involved in a serious accident can be restored properly if you choose the right repair shop. With the right parts, technicians, and techniques, you won’t be able to tell that your car was ever damaged. The repair shop will ensure your vehicle is fully functioning and meets all safety standards before you drive away.
Auto Body Repair & More in Texas (Just Minutes Away from Addison, Balch Springs, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Coppell, DeSoto, Duncanville, Farmers Branch, Ferris, Garland, Grand Prairie, Grapevine, Irving, Lancaster, Lewisville, Mesquite, Ovilla, Richardson, Rowlett, Sachse, Seagoville, Sunnyvale & Wylie, TX)
You have lots of choices when it comes to auto repair shops. You can trust Top Notch Body Shop & Mechanic. We take pride in all the work we do, and we’ll treat your car like it was our own. Give us a call today!