Do you have to submit to an annual physical? Many police and firefighting agencies demand that their front-line members take an annual physical exam. Texas Department of Public Safety demands that your vehicle be submitted on an annual basis for a safety inspection.
Yearly Emissions Testing & Car Safety Inspections
First of all, those residing in Dallas County are required to have an annual emissions test. Dallas is one of 17 counties in Texas that have annual mandatory inspection of any vehicle over two years old. What is inspected?
• Car Lights: Head lights, tail lights, turn signal lights, brake lights, side marker lights, clearance lights and cab lights. Your also required to a license plate light and a high beam indicator and all must be in working condition. Side reflectors and tail reflectors must be intact.
• Car Safety Equipment. Seat belts, safety guards and flaps are checked. Horn and mirrors are operable as well as your windshield wipers. Brakes, including the park brake must be in a workable state. Worn pads and shoes need replacement. All tires are check for minimum tread depth and for bulges or ply separation and dry rot.
• Exhaust System. The exhaust system is checked that the mufflers and catalytic converter are intact. System is checked to make sure there are no exhaust leaks. Check fuel tank caps. Caps ensure that the EVAP system is working. The EVAP system prevents the evaporation of fumes from the fuel tank into the atmosphere. EVAP warnings are most commonly due to fuel tank cap failure, either not tightened or positioned correctly. Leaks can form in the hoses or O-ring seals. The EVAP canister purge valve is another point of failure for the EVAP system.
• VIN. The VIN or vehicle identification number is checked making sure it is readable and reflects the VIN on the registration accurately. VINs must be clear and tampered with.
• Window Tinting. Window tint must be within legal specifications. Windows, including windshield and front side windows must allow a minimum of 25% transmission of light through the glass.
Any competent mechanic will also inspect the belts and hose for rot and other degeneration of the material. Safety inspections ensure that the vehicle is in good working order. Many large suburban areas are required by federal law to comply with air quality and emission standards, hence the emissions testing. They test for hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide making these emissions are not in excess of the standards. In Texas diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing but must submit for annual safety inspection.
Vehicle Safety Inspections & More in Dallas, Texas (Just Minutes Away from Addison, Balch Springs, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Coppell, DeSoto, Duncanville, Farmers Branch, Ferris, Garland, Grand Prairie, Grapevine, Irving, Lancaster, Lewisville, Mesquite, Ovilla, Richardson, Rowlett, Sachse, Seagoville, Sunnyvale & Wylie, TX)
Texas us is one of nineteen states and Washington D.C. requiring vehicle safety inspection. However, Maryland and Alabama only require inspection on registration of a vehicle bought out of the state. Inspections in Texas are required to be done by an authorized station. Check Engine Light on will prevent passing of emissions testing. Turning it off will require between 50 to 100 miles for your vehicle to monitor all aspects of vehicle operation and monitor all of the sensors and register the result. At Top Notch Auto Body Shop & Mechanics, our mechanical technicians can perform state vehicle safety inspections. Contact us to learn more today.