There is a certain amount of maintenance that comes with driving a vehicle. Some of the maintenance is very scheduled for drivers. There is a certain mileage that you can count on between oil changes. Many cars require certain 100,000-mile servicing that should be completed. Changing out the battery isn’t one of those things. Many drivers don’t know what to look for in terms of when to replace the battery in their vehicle. Top Notch Body Shop & Mechanic is here to share some of the signs that will likely be there if it is time for a new battery.
Signs Your Car Battery is Dying
It is important that drivers are aware of the signs that are indicative of a bad battery. The more aware you are of this, the more frustration you can save yourself. When a battery goes bad all of a sudden, it can leave you stranded and irritated. Here are the signs you should be watching for:
– Trouble Starting Car: Something to be watching for is a vehicle that is slow to start. When it takes longer than it should for the engine to kick into gear as you turn the key or push the button, this is a huge sign of a battery on its way out.
– Car Light & Radio Electrical Problems: As your battery’s life comes to an end, you may start to notice that the radio and the interior lights in your vehicle start having trouble working. Your battery is what gives those two things power.
– Rotten Egg Smell from Car Battery: Sometimes a bad odor can be a sign that there are battery issues. Most people recognize this as a burning smell. This can mean that you have battery damage or there is a leak somewhere in your battery. At any rate, it shouldn’t be ignored, and you should take your vehicle in to be looked at by a professional right away.
– Car Battery Corrosion: As batteries get old, sometimes there is corrosion around the battery terminal. You should check this somewhat regularly by popping your hood and taking a look inside. Corrosion is a white, crusty substance that can often be found around the battery. This can cause reduced voltage which can make it difficult to start your car.
– Old Car Battery: Just like everything else, batteries have a certain lifespan. Most batteries will last 3-5 years before they need to be replaced. For those that live in a colder climate, you will likely need to replace your batteries more often.
Minor Mechanical Repairs, Car Maintenance & More in Dallas, Texas (Just Minutes Away from Addison, Balch Springs, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Coppell, DeSoto, Duncanville, Farmers Branch, Ferris, Garland, Grand Prairie, Grapevine, Irving, Lancaster, Lewisville, Mesquite, Ovilla, Richardson, Rowlett, Sachse, Seagoville, Sunnyvale & Wylie, TX)
If you are having a difficult time starting your vehicle, you shouldn’t ignore it. At Top Notch Body Shop & Mechanic, we can take a look at your vehicle and decipher whether or not it is the battery causing problems or something else. You can count on us for all of your car diagnostics and repairs. Call us today!